Friday, October 24, 2014

Soul Surfer Continued...

      This week, I continued reading Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton. So far I am really enjoying this book. I love all of the characters. Her family is very close. I bet you could walk into their house and just feel the loving atmosphere. I love how Bethany Hamilton has a serious passion that she really enjoys. She is driven and knows where she wants to go in life. I love how her best friend is practically her sister and they love the same thing: surfing.

       I'm at the point in the book where she just got bit by the shark and the doctor's telling her parents that she has lost her arm. This is a tragic, emotional part in the story. Surprisingly, this doesn't happen until about two thirds the was through the story. Because this is what the story's about, I didn't think the conflict would occur so late in the story. It came almost right away in the movie. If you only watched the movie, there's a lot of background information about Bethany and some other characters that you might not know. So I would suggest picking up this book.

       Because I know more background information about Bethany, I feel even more attached to her and when the shark bite happens in the book I feel more distressed than I did in the movie. I can't wait to read about how she is resilient during her recovery. After turning to God, she finally decides that she wants to get back in the water and start surfing again. But this time, she'll be surfing with one arm. I am also a Christian and I love how this book shows that great things can happen when you look for God for help.

http://www.surfer-guide.com/




1 comment:

  1. I have heard of the movie but did not know there was a book. I liked how you based your opinions on the book which described the book even better.

    ReplyDelete